Thursday, September 25, 2008

Frozen Yogurt


Mmmm... I'm ALWAYS craving pinkberry. But I hate the fact that it's so expensive! So I compromised and now, I make it myself! :) Boyyy I may never go to pinkberry again!

Frozen Yogurt; makes about 1 quart
INGREDIENTS
3 cups (720g) strained yogurt (see below) or Greek-style yogurt i used Greek-style (it's richer)
3/4 cup (150g) sugar i used 2/3 cup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional) i included

DIRECTIONS
Mix together the yogurt, sugar, and vanilla (if using). Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Refrigerate 1 hour. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

**How to make strained yogurt**
To make 1 cup (240g) of strained yogurt, line a mesh strainer with a few layers of cheese cloth. then scrape 16 ounces or 2 cups (480g) of plain whole-milk yogurt into the cheesecloth. Gather the ends and fold them over the yogurt, then refrigerate for at least 6 hours. So, for the above recipe start with and strain 6 cups of yogurt.

Out of a 1-5 rating

froyo: 4 1/2

hmm..
I didn't have the hard choppping situation as I had with the blueberry ice cream/sherbet. This frozen yogurt was super creamy (much richer than pinkberry's), and delicious.

8 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oooh, so colorful!

Anonymous said...

That looks beautiful! I love your blog! :)

Kelly said...

Mmmm. We are just now starting to get pinkberry-style froyo here. I will have to try this recipe. It sounds delicious. What was the fat content of the greek yogurt you used?

Kelly said...

Also congrats on the mixer. I have had my pink kitchenaid mixer for almost 4 years now and I LOVE it. I get so much use out of it, although I haven't been using the ice cream maker attachment lately. Perhaps I should...

Dan said...

To the uninitiated: what's pinkberry?

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I've never seen a PinkBerry....!

Anonymous said...

haha i want sume now.. =[ grr... imma steal it 4rom u if u dont gimme sume!!! naw im not that mean. or am i? =] hehehe ;]

Emily said...

Are those Fruity Pebbles?

Mmm.

I've never been to Pinkberry before. I went into a Tasty D-Lite in NYC, and I couldn't bear to spend $4 on a cup of ice cream. Or yogurt, or whatever the hell it is.